Brief Publisher Overview: Phaidon
“Do not read, as children do, to amuse yourself, or like the ambitious, for the purpose of instruction. No, read in order to live.” ― Gustave Flaubert
Phaidon, founded in 1923 by Dr. Bela Horovitz and Ludwig Goldscheider, is known as the foremost global publisher of the creative arts with over 1,500 titles in print. Currently based in London and in New York City, they have a highly regarded history as an art book publisher. You can read more on Phaidon’s history here.
My humble collection started with Vefa’s Kitchen and is slowly growing as I come across more of Phaidon’s enticing titles. On the outside of each book, you will find a unique layout that corresponds to the personality of the subject matter found within. Once inside, that flair continues and really shines. Sewn into the binding of the books, found in the Food and Cookery collection, are bookmarks that are quite handy. Depending on the title, one or two might be included.
Having an eye on The Art of French Baking by Ginette Matthiot, Spain: The Cookbook by Simone and Inés Ortega (previously published as 1080 Recipes) and many other titles, I know my collection will continue to blossom. As Phaidon might have figured out by now, I am in it for the long haul!
Links for the titles shown or mentioned in here, plus other various related links can be found below. Thank you for stopping by!
Purchase links (USA Based):
- Vefa’s Kitchen by Vefa Alexiadou Amazon | Phaidon
- The Book of Tapas by Simone and Inés Ortega Amazon | Phaidon
- I Know How To Cook by Ginette Mathiot1 Amazon | Phaidon
- The Art of French Baking by Ginette Matthiot Amazon | Phaidon
- The Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookbook by Salma Hage Amazon | Phaidon
- The Kitchen Shelf by Eve O’Sullivan and Rosie Reynolds Amazon | Phaidon
- The Lebanese Kitchen by Salma Hage Amazon | Phaidon | Signed Edition
- The Silver Spoon by The Silver Spoon Kitchen Amazon | Phaidon
- Spain: The Cookbook by Simone and Inés Ortega2 Amazon | Phaidon